Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Leader of the Pack

Over the Christmas holiday Sonya and I went to visit my parents. We stayed at their house for a week, and during that time my father watched a lot of the National Geographic channel. They have a program called "The Dog Whisperer." I was greatly amused. Not only by Cesar and his training tactics, but at the people who called upon this expert to help them with their problems. It is amazing how quickly we forget that our pets are animals. We rationalize everything they do as if they are our children. And while I know Sonya is my baby, and I spoil her, I always remember she is a dog first.
Sonya has very few duties, but she takes pride in them. She guards the front of the house - making sure to bark at the mailman, and anyone else who tries to make deliveries here, until they leave. She keeps the yard clear of squirrels and moles. She takes me for walks every day. That was the one thing that stuck with me as I watched Cesar with these dogs. She takes me.
Although I love our walks almost as much as she does, I realized there were parts of the walks I did not love. Anytime we met up with another dog, or any boys. Girls are ok, but boys are for chasing! And dogs are for playing! And Sonya would pull, and I would shout and people would cross the street to avoid us. So I decided I would try a few of the tricks I saw on TV and see if they really worked.
It is not the miracle you see on TV - but then what ever is? But it has helped. I make sure I am the first one out of the door, and I make Sonya sit and wait while I lock the door. Then I take the first steps off the porch onto the sidewalk. I no longer let Sonya lead the way either. I keep the leash curled up in one hand and I keep her on my left side. I also keep my head up and my shoulders back. And I have noticed a change.
It was uncomfortable at first, but now our walks are truly enjoyable. We walk side by side, like friends, with no one pulling the other one. And we have added something really fun. Now that the weather is cold there are no outdoor sports at the highschool, which is our destination. When we get there we head for the baseball diamonds and we sprint across two of them, running as fast as we can. Sonya loves this. She jumps and dances and runs and runs. We have fun.
It has even trickled over into my work. I have always known that holding your head up and your shoulders back makes people look at you a little differently. But I didn't realize it changes the way you look back on the world too. It is a confidence builder, it allows you to take risks, to run as fast as you can and have fun too.
I don't use traditional commands with Sonya when we are walking. She knows sit and stay, but she also knows "behave" and "with me." Whenever another dog approaches I remind Sonya that she is "with me" and she heels. I tell her to "behave" and she no longer chases boys. But that is only on the walk, in the park boys are still for chasing.

No comments: